Monday, August 23, 2010

Swearing in and Ancash



Hey Everyone,

My rate of blogging is pitiful, I know.

That is mostly because I am incredibly protecting AND Defending the Constitution of the United States of America--or so we sweared to do at our swearing in ceremony at the embassy in Lima. This was pretty cool--nice to be back in America even for a short while. The ambassador wasn't there, we had some business

We have left Lima (Chacalacayo) and I am now back in Huaraz, Ancash, before heading to Jangas, my official site. It was very sad to say goodbye to my wonderful host family with whom I've shared the past two and a half months. I definitely plan to stay connected.

Will start teaching English and writing my community diagnostic for the first three months of service. The idea behind the community diagnostic is that we get to know the community and its needs in before we start setting up too many projects.

I am very excited to work with my health post, it is fairly active in the community, and I'm also excited to get inside the schools. The town where I'll be is a mix of the modern and the incredibly rural--as seems to be the case in PerĂº thus far. My house has a nice set-up w/ a fairly modern room and a toilet w/ a Cold shower. My family fairly nice w/ a couple older brothers, though the family is much more reserved than in Lima, which I'll miss a lot.

Looking forward to playing a lot of soccer and volleyball as well. Hope everyone is doing well back home, send me your stories as well, I might buy a USB which'll give me internet access all the time--yeah the Peace Corps' changed quite a bit, but I'm not gonna complain if I get to talk to y'all more.

Much Love de Huaraz. Talk to you soon(er).

4 comments:

  1. DUBS. he's back. yay for showers! bye dubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that picture didn't show up the first time i looked at this. BEAUTIFUL!!!! you're so lucky! hope things are going great. good luck with community diagnostics (aka chilling with the locals).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey John William,

    Sure does look gorgeous. Must have been like being in the United States when you were swearing in at the embassy. Hope you enjoy the new family and start to feel more at home there.
    Love you lots,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. JW-
    Such a beautiful picture! I'm not sure what form of contact you'll be checking, but I got some progress with the Spanish teacher here at Champlain and she's quite excited about partnering :) Sent you the details through e-mail though. Keep enjoying every minute and be well.
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete