Friday, May 20, 2011

News Flash:




After a bismal April performance of one blog entry, I'm going for it in May. It's time for a Jangas Animal Update.

I often get chastisted from Beth for my “resort” Peace Corps Housing. OK Beth, it's true, I have a toilet, you have a letrine, my showers are teasingly hot, and yours are taken with a bucket in your host family's “living room,” but you ain't got nothing on me in terms of animals.

For the non-Meyer family readers who haven't seen my house, my door opens directly to the outside. When I wake up I am in a cuy (guinea pig) zone. My family raises free range cuys—and yes they taste like chicken—in fact, they're delicious. Cuys are a serious business in Ancash, recently my host mom and I headed to Huaraz where she sold four cuys (I believe at about 20 soles each).

My host mom Maximiliana works constantly cleaning, feeding and caring for this economic investment. Mostly cuys eat alfalfa, fruit peals and scraps. As an “economista” they seem to me to be an incredibly efficient investment, and I seriously think they could be an international development project waiting to happen in other parts of the world.

That brings us to the local Jangas crime report. No mom, it's not real crime, Jangas continues to be a very safe environment. Well, I can't lie, it was a real crime. Lonchera, the family dog (I should really use past tense here...) has had it in for the cuys for some time. A few months ago, Lonchera killed a few cuys. Then came the tragic day. My host-sister was home. My host-sister Margarita loves to clean, so one day it came time to clean the animals. I participated (host-family integration, Peace Corps Goal number 2). I am sure we are the only family in Jangas that cleans its animals. Which I'm definitely not gonna complain about, believe me (I don't have fleas in my bed, while friends of mine do...).

So there we sat, rinsing, scraping, and shampooing the various mutts and kittens we have here in the Huamaliano-Cueva-Meyer residence. Lonchera was last, and looked good after her bath. Now recently I've read The Devil in the White City (thank you Duffy), so I'm pretty sure Lonchera had some of the devil in her, and to celebrate her new cleanliness wiped out 7 cuys. She ate a few of them, and killed the others for sport. Seven cuys is a major economic loss, Lonchera was not.

Before she left for another world, Lonchera gave birth to Oso (Bear). Oso is a fat little round dog that gets along well with the cuys (he better).

Lonchera is not the only one that has attacked the cuys in cold blood. Remember the adolescent rooster? Well he's all grown up now. So much so, that he doesn't like to be touched anymore. The other day when it was time for him to go out to pasture, we all tried to corner him. Remember how my door opens to the outside? The fucker ran for it, ran to the back of the room, ignored Katherine's yoga mat, and jumped for the bed, stepping on my pillow (I'm pretty sure this move was just plain gratuitous) before Marco grabbed him.


A few days earlier that week, the rooster stepped on a cuy, killing it. Let's just say it wasn't his week, and let's just say (again) that I think it's time for a chicken dinner. My birthday is coming up after all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Side Note: While I have your attention, or at least some of it, I will make an abrupt transition (Matthew's favorite type :).

I would like to use this forum to give a shout out for Matthew Meyer and Jessica Sayre to all of our family and friends (and a few people that read this blog in Ukraine—eso!).

Congratulations Matthew and Jessica for all your hard work over the past four years. The world now has two more intelligent, hard-working, caring doctors. Thanks for the dedication guys. Love you both very much, and will be thinking of you on Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this blog! We went to dinner last night with the Sayres and noted that there was a chair extra for you. You know how much we missed you
    and are looking forward to having you fill many
    chairs at home in July!!!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, Dubs, you didn't actually explain what happened to Lonchera... was she killed in reaction to the cuys deaths? Or was she just old? That's a pretty hilarious story.

    I can tell from your "a bismal" English that you've been speaking a lot of Spanish! Congratulations. (just FYI it's "abysmal") I sounded much the same both times I came back from abroad.

    I'm excited for this month of blog posts!

    -Jean

    ReplyDelete