Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ALMA

Volunteers and Young Women Leaders in Yungay, Ancash



Hey Everyone--

A funny thing happened on the way back to Jangas--I got internet. Before I used to have to write a blog entry, carry it with me on USB to the internet and pray that the ten year olds playing grand theft auto weren't hogging the bandwidth enough for the thing to take. Anyway, thanks to the Claro cell phone company none of that is necessary for my last six months here--let's g-chat too!

The point is: Expect to hear from me more frequently (I know I've said this before).

Anyway--I wanted to share some work us PCVs did a weekend ago. A week ago we held Camp ALMA--a leadership camp for teenage girls. The girls ranged in age from 9 (Rosmi our youngest camper from Beth's site and founding Perú DREAM member) and Neli (a 19 health promoter from Jangas).

The camp was filled with great activities: ice breakers, a sexual health lecture from our very own Peace Corps Doctor, team building activities, movie watching, nature walks, tree planting, global warming lectures and activities, a career panel with women professionals (policewoman, doctors, a psychologist (who works in Jangas!), archeologists, an environmental engineer, and a nutritionist). Everything was topped off with a recycled material fashion show. Us boy volunteers dressed up Pat's dog Eva--who came in a close sixth place (out of 6 contenders).

The girls had a great time and I think it was a unique opportunity for them to get away from their ordinary lives for a bit and just be themselves. In much the same way it was an opportunity for us volunteers--and we may have had more fun than the kids. In my activity I told the girls that I wanted to come back in thirty years and find them as mayors, doctors, psychologists and scientists. After what I saw in the workshops, I'm confident I will.

In the end, we all wrote each other notes in manila envelope mailboxes. I received a note from Belinda, that makes all the diarrhea, doubts, host family annoyances, etc worth it:

"Yon eres muy bueno por eso te quiero" Belinda, 10 años, Shilla, Perú

The Translation:

"John William, you are very good, therefore I love you" Belinda, 10 years old, Shilla, Perú

If this type of friendship is not why Kennedy created this whole thing, then I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment