Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Thought of Coming Home...




Before I left, Freddy Newburger a US Veteran of World War Two I interviewed told me that ¨2 years isn´t an afternoon.¨ He was right.

In two years a LOT has changed. Matthew bécame a doctor, Katherine and Duffy got engaged, married and Matthew and Jessica got engaged. Mom and dad celebrated 30 years together. When I arrived Antonela was 1 and now she´s 4, when I came she stared and said a few words, she now talks, argues, plays, dances marinera and takes clases in Italian! Buon Giorno!

On the world stage much has changed and stayed the same. Americans will have a more secure health care plan but continually struggle against an Economic depression that won´t budge. The Middle East celebrated the Arab Spring at the same time Syria continues to shed its blood. Peru elected a new reformer president but continues  to  struggle against an international mining crisis as old as the conquistadores themselves.

But here I still am, with my feet on the ground, one more time in Yanacoto. Many times before, during and after your service you may be questioned (and you´re often the one asking it), what have you done?
But if there´s one thing you learn especially, it´s that real change takes time. One step at a time, most things stay the same but if you stay determined  you can actually move the marker even just a bit. Oh yeah and you can´t even get that far without great friends.

2 years 2 months later and I´m ready to get on another flight. Same as last time, I´m anxious and unsure about what is to come, but a little more confident in myself, and ready to take that next step. But for now I´ll leave with the words that I saw in action every day for the past two years and two months:

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” –Margaret Mead

Thanks for reading for the two years, and now I´m ready to share and hear your stories in person.

With deep gratitude and love for all those have supported me during these two years,

Un Abrazo,

Vermont2PeruBack2Vermont,

John William Meyer 

No comments:

Post a Comment